IAPPR becomes world’s largest association of professional probate firms – and pledges to tackle industry misconduct!
Paris, 22 November 2018: The IAPPR (The International Association of Professional Probate Researchers, Genealogists & Heir Hunters) – which has 11 corporate member firms (with over 250 members of staff between them) – is now the world’s largest association of its type and kind.
With delegates from almost every continent present, directors of probate research companies attended the IAPPR’s 2018 AGM in Paris where a number of global initiatives, milestones and best practice elements were discussed.
- A pledge from IAPPR member companies across the world to launch a consumer and B2B campaign educating both audiences about the industry. This is in recognition of the limited public understanding of working practices among probate researchers
- In light of recent malpractice by a specific UK heirship firm, extensively featured across the UK national press, all members will embark on guides for consumers and business partners explaining what can be expected from genealogists in terms of conduct, best practice and typical procedures.
- Conduct codes have been upgraded to reassure those working with IAPPR firms.
- GDPR and data protection procedures were addressed to ensure uniformity of messages and interpretation of requirements.
- Common issues with the law and best practice and how to improve and enhance the IAPPR were also reviewed extensively – putting the public first at all times.
The IAPPR is now firmly established as a credible regulator and the go-to source for the media and anyone engaging the services of a probate research firm.
Danny Curran, founder and chairman of the IAPPR and MD of Finders International, the global genealogy firm featured on the BBC’s Heir Hunters, commented:
“While we’re delighted to be the largest corporate heirship organisation of our kind, we have goals of educating consumers and business partners about the intricacies of our work whilst at the same time as encouraging and representing the major players in this fascinating industry. We have set goals for the future that will enhance the industry’s reputation going forward.”